In the 95th episode of the Stories of Service podcast, host Theresa Carpenter interviews Leah Stiles about eating disorders in the military. Leah Stiles, a retired Navy veteran, shares her personal journey and discusses the growing problem of eating disorders within the US military. She highlights the lack of recognition and treatment for this issue and emphasizes the need for awareness and support.
Leah Stiles founded Sea-Waves, an organization dedicated to helping service members and their families confront eating disorders in the military community. Throughout the interview, Leah Stiles talks about her motivation to join the military, her experiences as a Navy photographer, and how her own battle with an eating disorder affected her career.
Leah provides insights into different types of eating disorders and challenges the misconceptions surrounding them. Overall, the interview sheds light on the importance of addressing eating disorders in the military and the need for better support systems and resources.
Meet Our Guest - Leah Stiles
Leah Stiles hailing from Albany, New York, embarked on an incredible journey of dedication and service. She wholeheartedly embraced her call to duty by enlisting in the United States Navy. Beyond her military accolades, Leah is the proud wife of Marlando Stiles and a devoted mother to Alexandria, Alana, Olivia and many bonus kids with their beloved bulldog Bucs as a faithful companion. Through her leadership, she is not only molding the military's culture but also ensuring a brighter and healthier future for everyone involved. Her unwavering dedication is providing resources that service members with eating disorders wouldn't otherwise have access to, making a lasting impact on the lives she touches.
✅ Eating Disorders in the Military: The episode focuses on the issue of eating disorders within the US military and highlights its prevalence and significance as a growing problem
✅ Leah Stiles' Personal Journey: Leah Stiles, a retired Navy veteran, shares her personal journey, including her motivation to join the military and her experiences as a Navy photographer.
✅ Lack of Recognition and Treatment: Leah Stiles discusses the lack of recognition and treatment for eating disorders within the military, underscoring the need for increased awareness and support for service members facing this issue.
✅ Sea-Waves Organization: Leah Stiles founded Sea-Waves, an organization dedicated to helping service members and their families confront eating disorders in the military community, demonstrating her commitment to addressing this problem.
✅ Impact on Career: The interview reveals how Leah Stiles' own battle with an eating disorder affected her career, shedding light on the personal and professional challenges faced by military personnel dealing with this issue.
✅ Types of Eating Disorders: The conversation provides insights into different types of eating disorders, helping to dispel misconceptions and raise awareness about the various aspects of this complex problem.
✅ Importance of Addressing the Issue: The episode underscores the importance of addressing eating disorders in the military, as it not only impacts the well-being of service members but also affects their ability to fulfill their duties.
✅ Call for Better Support and Resources: Leah Stiles emphasizes the need for improved support systems and resources within the military to help individuals struggling with eating disorders, advocating for a more comprehensive approach to tackling this issue.
- Eating Disorders Awareness: How can increasing awareness about eating disorders in the military help identify and support service members who may be struggling with these issues?
- Personal Motivation for Military Service: Reflect on the motivations individuals have for joining the military and how personal experiences, like Leah Stiles', can shape their journey.
- Recognition and Treatment Challenges: Discuss the challenges in recognizing and treating eating disorders within the military. What barriers might service members face when seeking help?
- The Role of Sea-Waves: Explore the significance of organizations like Sea-Waves in providing support to military personnel and their families facing eating disorders. What impact can such organizations have?
- Career Implications: Consider how personal battles with eating disorders can impact a military career. What can be done to ensure service members receive the necessary support without compromising their careers?
- Understanding Eating Disorders: Delve into the various types of eating disorders and the importance of dispelling misconceptions surrounding them. How can education help reduce stigma?
- Holistic Well-being in the Military: How does addressing eating disorders contribute to the overall well-being and readiness of the military force? What other aspects of well-being should be considered?
- Resource Enhancement: Explore ways to improve support systems and resources within the military for those dealing with eating disorders. What strategies can be implemented to enhance the available support?
Overall, this podcast episode shines a light on the critical issue of eating disorders in the military and the importance of recognizing, treating, and supporting service members and their families in their journey towards recovery and well-being.
Watch Full Episode:
Website - https://www.sea-waves.org/
Contact Leah Stiles - [email protected]
Linked in - https://www.linkedin.com/in/leah-stiles/
Leah Stiles - Parade Deck
Theresa Carpenter - Parade Deck